On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Andrew Walrond wrote:

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 07:28, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, Steve Witt wrote:
I'm installing a software raid system on a new server that I've just
installed Debian 3.1 (sarge) on. It will be a raid5 on 5 IDE disks using
mdadm. I'm trying to create the array with 'mdadm --create /dev/md0 ...'
and am getting an error: 'mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or
directory'. There are no /dev/md* devices in /dev at the present time. I
do have the md and raid5 kernel modules loaded. My question is: how do
the /dev/md* files get created? Are they normal device file that are
created with MAKEDEV?

It's odd that they aren't there - they are with Debian 3.0, and have remained there when I've upgraded a few test servers to testing/Sarge.

 # cd /dev
 # ./MAKEDEV md

should do the business.

A useful trick I discovered yesterday: Add --auto to your mdadm commandline and it will create the device for you if it is missing :)

Well, it seems that this machine is using the udev scheme for managing device files. I didn't realize this as udev is new to me, but I probably should have mentioned the kernel version (2.6.8) I was using. So I need to research udev and how one causes devices to be created, etc.

Thanks for the help!!