On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> I am considering getting a Sony SAIT 3 with 500G/1TB tapes, which seems
> like a nice solution for backuping a whole server on a single tape.
>
> Has anyone used that hardware and can comment on its performance,
> linux-compatibility or otherwise?
>
> Is there a better solution out there?

Better depends on what you want/need/can afford.  Last time I was tape
shopping, I thought this would be a good compromise on the need/can
afford:
Exabyte VXA-2 Packetloader 1x10

Native tape capacity is 800gb.  The only downside is, no magazine...it
stores the tapes in an internal carosel accessed from the front, one
position at a time.  For a bit more $, they have magazine based tape
library systems with VXA-2 drives.

Anyone used these?  I'd still like one.