On Tuesday March 8, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
> > Then after 20ms with no write, they are all marked 'clean'.
> > Then before the next write they are all marked 'active'.
> >
> > As the event count needs to be updated every time the superblock is
> > modified, the event count will be updated forever active->clean or
> > clean->active transition.
>
> So..  Sorry if I'm a bit slow here.. But what you're saying is:
>
> The kernel marks the partition clean when all writes have expired to disk.
> This change is propagated through MD, and when it is, it causes the
> event counter to rise, thus causing a write, thus marking the
> superblock active.  20 msecs later, the same scenario repeats itself.
>
> Is my perception of the situation correct?

No.  Writing the superblock does not cause the array to be marked
active.
If the array is idle, the individual drives will be idle.

> Seems like a design flaw to me, but then again, I'm biased towards
> hating this behaviour since I really like being able to put inactive
> RAIDs to sleep..

Hmmm... maybe I misunderstood your problem.  I thought you were just
talking about a spare not being idle when you thought it should be.
Are you saying that your whole array is idle, but still seeing writes?
That would have to be something non-md-specific I think.

NeilBrown