Alexander Stockinger wrote:
Hi all,

I have a linux software RAID 5 running on a Debian Sarge with 2.6.7-smp. Since I installed the system (several kernel updates ago) the disks of the RAID 5 won't stay spinned down. Having them sent to standy manually using hdparm ends up in having the disks spin up within the next minute or so.
To further investigate the problem I watched the /proc/diskstats file for /dev/md0 and realized that prior to the spinup a single read access to the RAID is issued - consequently the disks attached to the read spin up again...

Does it occur if you have the filesystem on the md device unmounted?

Regards,
Brad