On Thursday March 31, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we still have troubles with our raid5 array. You can find the history of
> the fault in detail in my other postings (11.3.2005).
>
> I will show you my attempts.
>
> There are 4 discs (Maxtor 250GB) in a raid5-array. One disc failed and
> we sent it back to Maxtor. Now, the array consists of 3 discs.
> I tried to reassemble it,
>
> mdadm -A --run --force /dev/md2 /dev/hdi1 /dev/hdk1  /dev/hdo1
>
> but i got an error:
>
> -snip-
> mdadm: failed to RUN_ARRAY /dev/md2: Invalid argument
> -snap-

It looks like hdi1 doesn't think it is an active part of the array.
It is just a spare.
It is as-though the array was not fully synced when hdm1 (?) failed.

Looking back through previous emails, it looks like you had 2 drive
fail in a raid5 array.  This means you lose. :-(

Your best bet would be:

  mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level 5 -n 4 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdk1 missing  /dev/hdo1

and hope that the data you find on md2 isn't too corrupted.  You might be
lucky, but I'm not holding my breath - sorry.

NeilBrown