Ming Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> have u try the parallel write?

I haven't tested it as thoroughly, as it brings lvm and the filesystem
into the mix.  (The disks are in "production" use, and are fairly
full, so I can't do writes directly to the disk partitions/raid
device.)

My preliminary finding is that raid writes are faster than non-raid
writes:  49MB/s vs 39MB/s.  Still not stellar performance, though.
Question for the list:  if I'm doing a long sequential write, naively
each parity block will get recalculated and rewritten several times,
once for each non-parity block in the stripe.  Does the write-caching
that the kernel does mean that each parity block will only get written
once?

Dan