> i also want a way to clear part of the whole page cache by file id. :)

understandably, kernel developers are don't high-prioritize this sort of
not-useful-for-normal-work feature.

> i also want a way to tell the cache distribution, how many for file A
> and B, ....

you should probably try mmaping the file and using mincore.
come to think of it, mmap+madvise might be a sensible way to
flush pages corresponding to a particular file, as well.

> > I'm really surprised there isn't something in /proc you can use to
> > clear or disable the cache.  Would be very useful for benchmarking!

I assume you noticed "blockdev --flushbufs", no?  it works for me
(ie, a small, repeated streaming read of a disk device will show
pagecache speed).

I think the problem is that it's difficult to dissociate readahead,
writebehind and normal lru-ish caching.  there was quite a flurry of
activity around 2.4.10 related to this, and it left a bad taste in
everyone's mouth.  I think the main conclusion was that too much fanciness
results in a fragile, more subtle and difficult-to-maintain system
that performs better, true, but over a narrower range of workloads.

regards, mark hahn
sharcnet/mcmaster.