G'day all,

This message is really just for future googles.
I have been running a 15 disk raid-6 since 24th feb in production and can completely vouch for it's stability. I have had both simulated and real drive failures and it has handled itself perfectly under all cases. Unclean shutdowns and resyncs have all been perfect. I know it's tagged as stable in any case, but I still get E-mails from people dragging my name from google asking about it, so I place this here for the public record.

storage1:/home/brad# mdadm -D /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 00.90.01
  Creation Time : Thu Feb 24 14:51:17 2005
     Raid Level : raid6
     Array Size : 3186525056 (3038.91 GiB 3263.00 GB)
    Device Size : 245117312 (233.76 GiB 251.00 GB)
   Raid Devices : 15
  Total Devices : 15
Preferred Minor : 0
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

    Update Time : Fri Jul 15 13:27:51 2005
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 15
Working Devices : 15
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

Many thanks to hpa and others responsible for raid-6. I have already had a 2 drive failure and they were so close together even a hot spare would not have had time to rebuild.

Also thanks to Neil Brown for a great monitoring and management tool. Mdadm and it's monitoring to E-mail has been invaluable.

I'd also like to thank Maxtor for producing drives that actually have useful S.M.A.R.T. data. Wish the other manuf's would follow suit.

Brad