Fdisk it and set partitions to Raid Autodetect (0xfd) possibly?

Tyler.

Lewis Shobbrook wrote:

Hi All,
I have a problem attempting to boot a raid 1 system from lilo. I have succeeded at this many times in the past, but am completely stumped as to what the issue is in this instance. I have the boot and root partitions seperate on /dev/md0 & /dev/md1 respectively, both raid1. The mdadm examination for the components is clean and the superblocks appear as they ought. I'm using Debian unstable with std. apt kernel-image. The correct modules are in place for the initrd.
The boot partition fails to mount during  the boot process...
fsck.ext3: invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md0
The superblock can not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem.... omitted usual stuff...
Root password for maintenance or Control-D to continue...

The bizarre thing is that it appears perfectly clean, I've re-zero'd the superblocks and completely recreated the device, but the result is always the same. mdrun loads /dev/md0 in a clean state straight away and it mounts cleanly. /dev/md1 is no problem. mdadm -E of the components is clean, as is mdadm -d for the device. My fstab & mtab are the same as systems running the same kernel that work fine.

I found the system laying around from about 12 months ago which had originally been set-up using raidtools. I upgraded the system using dist-upgrade installed mdadm; after zeroing all superblocks for both drives and component partitions, I created the devices with the following ...

mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l1 -n2 /dev/hda1 missing
reformatted ext3 and restored the files before adding the missing devices and resyncing. I'm stumped!
Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Lewis