i've never looked at yaird in detail -- but you can probably use
initramfs-tools instead of yaird... the deb 2.6.14 and later kernels will
use whichever one of those is installed.  i know that initramfs-tools uses
mdrun to start the root partition based on its UUID -- and so it should
work fine (to get root mounted) even without dorking around with
mdadm.conf.

but if you want to stick with yaird:

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Lewis Shobbrook wrote:

> My mdadm.conf (I never needed to use at all previous to the yaird system) is
> as follows...
> ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=3 devices=/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2,/dev/sdc2
> auto=yes
> ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid5 num-devices=3 auto=yes
> UUID=a3452240:a1578a31:737679af:58f53690
> DEVICE partitions

some wrapping occured there i'm guessing...

you might be a lot happier if your /dev/md0 also specified the UUID rather
than the individual devices.  this is probably the source of your
troubles.

you can get the UUID by doing "mdadm --examine /dev/sda2".

or you can try:  mdadm --examine --scan --brief ... just prepend "DEVICE
partitions" in front of that and you should be happy.

-dean