On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Neil Brown wrote:

> On Tuesday February 7, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > hi,
> > with the latest mdadm-2.3.1 we've got the following message:
> > -------------------------------------
> > md: md4: sync done.
> > RAID1 conf printout:
> >  --- wd:2 rd:2
> >  disk 0, wo:0, o:1, dev:sda2
> >  disk 1, wo:0, o:1, dev:sdb2
> > md: mdadm(pid 8003) used obsolete MD ioctl, upgrade your software to use
> > new ictls.
> > -------------------------------------
> > this is just a warning or some kind of problem with mdadm?
>
> This is with a 2.4 kernel, isn't it.
>
> The md driver is incorrectly interpreting an ioctl that it doesn't
> recognise as an obsolete ioctl.  In fact it is a new ioctl that 2.4
> doesn't know about (I suspect it is GET_BITMAP_FILE).
>
> The message should probably be removed from 2.4, but as 2.4 is in
> deep-maintenance mode, I suspect that is unlikely....

More to the point, why is mdadm trying to use an illegal ioctl instead of
checking the kernel version and disabling features which won't work? Users
are trusting their data to this software, and "try it and see if it works"
ioctls don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about correct operation.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc