On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 06:53 -0500, Paul M. wrote:
> Since its raid5 you would be fine just pulling the disk out and
> letting the raid driver rebuild the array. If you have a hot spare

yes, rebuilding is the simplest way. but rebuild will need to read all
other disks and write to the new disk. when serving some io at same
time, the rebuilding speed is not much,

but if i do a dd clone and plug it back. the total traffic is copy one
disk which can be done very fast as a fully sequential workload. with
that bitmap feature, the rsync work after plugging back is minor.

so the one disk fail window is pretty small here. right?

ming