On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Marc L. de Bruin wrote:

> Okay, just pressing Control-D continues the boot process and AFAIK the root
> filesystemen actually isn't corrupt. Running e2fsck returns no errors and
> booting 2.6.11 works just fine, but I have no clue why it picked the wrong
> partitions to build md[01234].
>
> What could have happened here?

i didn't know sarge had 2.6.11 or 2.6.15 packages... but i'm going to
assume you've installed one of initramfs-tools or yaird in order to use
the unstable 2.6.11 or 2.6.15 packages... so my comments might not apply.

initramfs-tools generates an "mdrun /dev" which starts all the raids it
can find... but does not include the mdadm.conf in the initrd so i'm not
sure it will necessarily start them in the right minor devices.  try doing
an "mdadm --examine /dev/xxx" on some of your partitions to see if the
"preferred minor" is what you expect it to be...

if the preferred minors are wrong there's some mdadm incantation to update
them... see the man page.

or switch to yaird (you'll have to install yaird and purge
initramfs-tools) and dpkg-reconfigure your kernel packages to cause the
initrds to be rebuilt.  yaird starts only the raid required for the root
filesystem, and specifies the correct minor for it.  then later after the
initrd /etc/init.d/mdadm-raid will start the rest of your raids using your
mdadm.conf.

-dean