Eric
if the file system is not clustered awared it would never work.
the reason is very simple.
a file system is a driver.
one  driver is a state machine running on machine 1 and the other is running
on machine 2. there is no synch between the two.
if u are a progmmer , try implement a userpace bitmap reader
meaning, if machine 1 is the writer, whenever a file is created or
modified , send the bitmap to machine 2 reader.
i can give an  xfs bitmap reader if u want .

--
Raz