(Please don't reply off-list.  If the conversation starts on the list,
please leave it there unless there is a VERY GOOD reason).

On Monday May 22, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 5/19/06, Neil Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > On Friday May 19, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > As i can see the bitmap do exactly this, but the default bitmap is too
> > > small!
> >
> > Why do you say that?
> > Are you using an internal bitmap, or a bitmap in a separate file?
>

> I was using bitmap in a separate file.
> Why i said that tha bitmap is too small? I try to explain:
>
> the raid device is a raid1, created on /dev/md0 trought mdadm, and the
> bitmap use a 4 kb chunk-size on external file (in root directory)
>

> setfaulty /dev/md0 /dev/nda
> raidhotremove /dev/md0 /dev/nda
> cd /mnt/md0
> wget http://...   (240 kb file...)
> raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/nda
>
> And now dmesg said that the bitmap was obsolete (0<1 or something like that)
> and that the md driver will force a total recovery.

raidhotadd doesn't know anything about bitmaps.
If you use 'mdadm /dev/mda --add /dev/nda' you should find that it
works better.

I recommend getting rid of setfaulty / raidhotadd /raidhotremove etc
and just using mdadm.

NeilBrown