H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Chris Allen wrote:

Dear All,

I have a Linux storage server containing 16x750GB drives - so 12TB raw
space.

Just one thing - Do you want to use RAID-5 or RAID-6 ?

I just ask, as with that many drives (and that much data!) the
possibilities of a 2nd drive failure is increasing, and personally,
wherever I can, I take the hit these days, and have used RAID-6 for
some time... drives are cheap, even the 750GB behemoths!

If I make them into a single RAID5 array, then it appears my only
choice for a filesystem is XFS - as EXT3 won't really handle partitions
over 8TB.

I can't help with this though - I didn't realise ext3 had such a
limitation though!

16 TB (2^32 blocks) should be the right number.

It should be, but mkfs.ext3 won't let me create a filesystem bigger than 8TB. It appears that the only way round this is through kernel patches, and, as this is a production machine, I'd rather stick to mainstream releases and go for one
of the above solutions.