On Friday June 23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Why would you ever want to reduce the size of a raid5 in this way?
>
> A feature that would have been useful to me a few times is the ability
> to shrink an array by whole disks.
>
> Example:
>
> 8x 300 GB disks -> 2100 GB raw capacity
>
> shrink file system, remove 2 disks =
>
> 6x 300 GB disks --> 1500 GB raw capacity

This is shrinking an array by removing drives.  We were talking about
shrinking an array by reducing the size of drives - a very different
think.

Yes, it might be sometimes useful to reduce the number of drives in a
raid5.  This would be similar to adding a drive to a raid5 (now
possible), but the data copy would have to go in a different
direction, so there would need to be substantial changes to the code.
I'm not sure it is really worth the effort I'm afraid, but it might
get done, one day, especially if someone volunteers some code ... ;-)

NeilBrown