Guy wrote:
Hello group,

        I am upgrading my disks from old 18 Gig SCSI disks to 300 Gig SATA
disks.  I need a good SATA controller.  My system is old and has PCI V 2.1.
I need a 4 port card, or 2 2 port cards.  My system has multi PCI buses, so
2 cards may give me better performance, but I don't need it.  I will be
using software RAID.  Can anyone recommend a card that is supported by the
current kernel?

I'm using Promise SATA150TX4 cards here in old PCI based systems. They work great and have been rock solid for well in excess of a year 24/7 hard use. I have 3 in one box and 4 in another.

I'm actually looking at building another 15 disk server now and was hoping to move to something quicker using _almost_ commodity hardware.

My current 15 drive RAID-6 server is built around a KT600 board with an AMD Sempron processor and 4 SATA150TX4 cards. It does the job but it's not the fastest thing around (takes about 10 hours to do a check of the array or about 15 to do a rebuild).

I'd love to do something similar with PCI-E or PCI-X and make it go faster (the PCI bus bandwidth is the killer), however I've not seen many affordable PCI-E multi-port cards that are supported yet and PCI-X seems to mean moving to "server" class mainboards and the other expenses that come along with that.

Brad