Yesterday evening I initialized a new RAID5, waited for completion and
shut down the machine. Yet when I restarted it this morning it
immediately began with a resync -- it seems that it wants to resync on
every boot ...

This is a new Debian testing installation, array was created with EVMS
and is started with EVMS in the initrd. mdadm is used for monitoring
and maintainance.

Grepping through the init scripts I really could find nothing that
looked like it shut down md arrays -- when and where is that supposed
to happen?

Of course I could use mdadm to stop the array by hand before issuing
shutdown, but I'm sure this has worked out-of-the-box before, and
besides I can't do it for the roo-on-RAID1 I intend on adding.

Thanks,

C.