May be your shutdown script is doing "halt -h"? Halting the disk
immediately without letting the RAID to settle to a clean state
can be the cause?

I'm using Debian as well and my halt script has the fragment you posted.
Besides, shouldn't the array be marked clean at this point:

md: stopping all md devices.

Apparently it isn't ... :

md: md0 still in use.

If someone thinks it might make a difference I could remove everything
evms and create a "pure" md array with mdadm. (Directly on the disks
or on partitions? Which partition type?)

How does a "normal" shutdown look?

Will try 2.6.16 and 2.6.15 now ... the boring part is that I have to
wait for the resync to complete before the next test ...

Thank you,

C.