On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 00:29 +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote:

> > I don't know exactly how the driver was responding to the bad cable,
> > but it clearly wasn't returning an error, so md didn't fail it.
>
> There were a lot of errors in dmesg -- seems like they did not get
> passed up to md? I find it surprising that the md layer doesn't have
> its own timeouts, but then I know nothing about such things :)
>
> Thanks for clearing this up for me,
>
> C.
>
> [...]
> ata2: port reset, p_is 8000000 is 2 pis 0 cmd 44017 tf d0 ss 123 se 0
> ata2: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> sdc: Current: sense key: No Sense
>    Additional sense: No additional sense information
> ata2: handling error/timeout
> ata2: port reset, p_is 0 is 0 pis 0 cmd 44017 tf 150 ss 123 se 0
> ata2: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ata2: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }
> sdc: Current: sense key: No Sense
>    Additional sense: No additional sense information
> [repeat]

This looks like a bad sd/sata lld interaction problem.  Specifically,
the sata driver wasn't filling in a suitable sense code block to
simulate auto-sense on the command, and the scsi disk driver was either
trying to get sense or retrying the same command.  Anyway, not an md
issue, a sata/scsi issue in terms of why it wasn't getting out of the
reset loop eventually.  I would send your bad cable to Jeff Garzik for
further analysis of the problem ;-)

--
Doug Ledford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://people.redhat.com/dledford