Christian Pernegger wrote:
The fact that the disk had changed minor numbers after it was plugged
back in bugs me a bit. (was sdc before, sde after). Additionally udev
removed the sdc device file, so I had to manually recreate it to be
able to remove the 'faulty' disk from its md array.

That's because md is stilling holding onto sdc in failed mode. A hotplug script which checks whether a removed device is in md array and if so removes it from the array will solve the problem. Not sure whether that would be the correct approach though.

Thanks.

--
tejun