On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Francois Barre wrote:

2006/7/11, Justin Piszcz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Why not just --set-faulty or --fail with mdadm?

If you answer to "Bad blocks maybe, can't test that.", I'll say AFAIK,
--set-faulty will only stay at the md layer, and won't go through the
underlying driver (sata here, ata elsewhere, ...), so this will not
help diagnose the driver behaviour on block read problem.

If you answer to the fact that md does not mark the drive faulty, I
guess Christian was refering to an automatic to mark the disk faulty,
not a manual way, in order, for exemple, to trigger a resync with a
spare drive just after a drive failure has been detected (and not only
after the admin found it).

As an ugly workaround, a daemon script could look at the current drive
status regularly (in /sys, in /proc or trying to read /dev/sd?), and
mark the drive faulty on error...

For ICH5 and all other controllers (non-AHCI) of course, I've always seen md mark it faulty on a bad disk/sector/etc.

I thought you were just trying to mark it faulty manually for the purpose of rebuilding it.

Justin.