Howdy.

I realize this list is more focused on Linux software RAID than "proprietary" RAID controllers, but I've been Googling and can't find an answer that I suspect someone on this list probably knows. If anyone can suggest a better forum for this question or someplace where the answer is documented, that would be great.

Intel's ICH7R firmware allows creating volumes in various RAID modes where the "strip size" (which I believe to be a misspelling of "stripe size") can be certain multiples of 16KB.

IIUC, a RAID "stripe" is composed of "chunks" spanning two or more drives. For example, a four disc RAID-5 array with 64KB chunks would yield a 256KB stripe with 192KB of usable storage per stripe.

I'm trying to optimize I/O performance for a database with 64KB blocks. I understand that RAID-0 multiplies the likelihood of a failure but that's only a nuisance and not a problem in my situation.

My question: What are the chunk and usable storage sizes per stripe for four discs in RAID-0 on an ICH7R configured for a 128KB "strip"?

Thank you very much.

--
Jeff Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>