Furthremore , hw controller are much less feaure rich than sw raid.
many different stripe sizes, stripe cache tunning ....

On 25 Aug 2006 23:50:34 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hardware RAID can be (!= is) more tolerant of serious drive failures
> where a single drive locks up the bus. A high-end hardware RAID card
> may be designed with independent controllers so a single drive failure
> cannot take other spindles down with it. The same can be accomplished
> with sw RAID of course if the builder is careful to use multiple PCI
> cards, etc. Sw RAID over your motherboard's onboard controllers leaves
> you vulnerable.

Which is exactly why I *like* SW RAID - I can, and do, have the mirrors
span controllers so a whole controller can fail without taking down
the system.

With HW RAID cards, if your controller dies, you're SOL.

Raz