> Patrick Hoover wrote:
>> Is anyone else having issues with USB interfaced disks to implement
>> RAID? Any thoughts on Pros / Cons for doing this?
>
> Sounds like a very good stress test for MD.
>
> I often find servers completely hung when a disk fails, this usually
> happens in the IDE layer.
> If using USB disks circumvents the IDE layer enough, using USB disks
> might get rid of these hangs.  Would be nice at least.  Maybe I'm just
> dreaming.
>
> For end users, USB might remove the need to take special care of
> cooling in your cabinet.
> OTOH, most USB disk enclosures have horrible thermal properties.
>
> USB would make it a lot easier to add new disks (beyond your cabinet's
> capacity) and to remove old disks when/if they're no longer needed.
> Users might run into a bandwidth issue at some point..

After I got rid of a crappy USB hub the catastrophic resets stopped. And
after I bought a separate PCI USB card the non-catastrophic resets have
almost stopped as well.

So now the system works as well as I hoped when I planned it!

And no, nothing hangs except the disk access to the device in question
when a disk fails.

My Seagate disks DO generate too much heat if I stack them on top of each
other, which their form factor suggests they would accept. If I put them a
bit more spacy though it works perfectly. And there ARE enclosures with
separate fans.

I have 10 external USB disks now - I got rid of my internal ones which
were too old and failing, and I plan on continuing to add on to my
external array. My RAID5 + LVM + dm_crypt + XFS setup allows for a very
extendable system.

And as long as I treat the entire disk set as one device, the bandwidth
will not be an issue since I will never demand more bandwidth from the
entire array than from a single USB drive anyway.

//Martin