Most manufacturers give you a 1 or 3 year warranty.  I must assume this
indicates how long they think the drive will last.  Seagate gives you 5
years.  I use Seagate but have not had to return a drive in many years.

I have 4 of these:
Seagate "Barracuda 7200.10"     320 GB / 16 MB /    ?    / SATA

And 2 of these:
Seagate "Barracuda 7200.9"     300 GB / 16 MB /    ?    / SATA

No problems with above, very quiet and cool.

And many (17+) 18 Gig 10,000 RPM SCSI disks.  1 or 2 have failed in the last
2 years.  But they are vary out of warranty.

No problems, very quiet and cool.

Guy