Michael Tokarev wrote:
Neil Brown wrote:
On Sunday October 29, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,

I have 2 arrays whose numbers get inverted, creating havoc, when booting
under different kernels.

I have md0 (raid1) made up of ide drives and md1 (raid5) made up of five
sata drives, when booting with my current ubuntu 2.6.12-9 kernel. When I
try to boot a more recent kernel (2.6.15-26 or 2.6.15-27) the
order is inversed and my sata raid5 array shows up as md0.

My arrays are part of evms volumes that just stop working if the
numbering is inverted.

any clues ?
Your arrays are being started the wrong way.
Do you have an mdadm.conf that lists the arrays?  Can you show us what
it looked like?
If not, do you know how the arrays are started in ubuntu?

My guess is that it's using mdrun shell script - the same as on Debian.
It's a long story, the thing is quite ugly and messy and does messy things
too, but they says it's compatibility stuff and continue shipping it.

For the OP, the solution is to *create* mdadm.conf file - in that case
mdrun should hopefully NOT run.

I'd suggest you are probably correct. By default on Ubuntu 6.06

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ cat /etc/init.d/mdadm-raid
#!/bin/sh
#
# Start any arrays which are described in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf and which are
# not running already.
#
# Copyright (c) 2001-2004 Mario Jou/3en <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# Distributable under the terms of the GNU GPL version 2.

MDADM=/sbin/mdadm
MDRUN=/sbin/mdrun
CONFIG=/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
DEBIANCONFIG=/etc/default/mdadm

. /lib/lsb/init-functions

test -x $MDADM || exit 0

AUTOSTART=true
test -f $DEBIANCONFIG && . $DEBIANCONFIG

case "$1" in
    start)
        if [ "x$AUTOSTART" = "xtrue" ] ; then
            if [ ! -f /proc/mdstat ] && [ -x /sbin/modprobe ] ; then
                /sbin/modprobe -k md > /dev/null 2>&1
            fi
            test -f /proc/mdstat || exit 0
            log_begin_msg "Starting RAID devices..."
            if [ -f $CONFIG ] && [ -x $MDADM ] ; then
                $MDADM -A -s
            elif [ -x $MDRUN ] ; then
                $MDRUN
            fi
            log_end_msg $?
        fi
        ;;
    stop|restart|reload|force-reload)
        ;;
    *)
        log_success_msg "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0