Michael Schmitt wrote:
Hi Bill,

this `thingĀ“ works in another computer and as I moved it to another one,
I could not get it working. So the problem is... somewhere in between :)
As I had other non md-related problems in this computer (power supply
insufficient, system could not boot from hda anymore when sata disks
were connected to the pci-controller so I needed to unplug the sata
cables until grub has loaded, BIOS upgrade did not help), I moved the
array back in the original one, and it worked without a change.

But I noticed there a different behavior "Generating udev events for MD
arrays" showed up during boot, listing the partitions md0_d0p1 to
md0_d0p4 and of course /dev/md0_d0pN showed up. Then I cogitated about
all that a bit and came to some possible conclusions. Maybe the nameing
scheme for the arrays need to reflect somehow if it is a partibionable
array or not, if there are partitions and if udev needs to add the
appropriate devices... or not. Then I remembered some of the strange
things which happend when I did set up the array in the first place. I
tried to name the array "md0" but /dev/md_0" was generated too. /dev/md0
was somehow "dead" and my array was accessible as /dev/md0_d0. A bit
later as I tried to build an array with IDE discs in the "troublesome"
computer, I noticed similar effects. I tried to name the array
simple /dev/array1 but /dev/md127_d0 (iirc) was generated
too. /dev/array1 was dead and the raid was accessible at /dev/md127_d0.
So, whats all that? Even if I had read somehwere the name of the device
can be anything, it may be that that's not really true.

So the question remains the same, the confusion is persistent as the
superblocks in my arrays :) Any input is appreciated.

I already did read some mails in this list but did not get the point and
no real explanation to my question. I will read on, maybe I get
enlightenment.
I just reread the man page, and there is a paragraph on partitionable arrays following the "-a" option. Having warned you that I'm not experienced in this, I wonder if there is some interaction between device names created by "-amdp" and rules for udev, and how much of this partition info is carried in the superblock. There's a lot of discussion of names in that paragraph.

I also wonder if using the "-amdp" vs. just "-ap" will work differently. Hopefully Neil will have words of wisdom if we continue to thrash without a good understanding.
greetings
Michael