On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Are there any plans in the near future to enable growing RAID-6 arrays by adding more disks into them?

I have a 15x500GB - drive unit and I need to add another 15 drives into it... Hindsight is telling me that maybe I should have put LVM on top of the RAID-6, however, the usable 6TB it yields should have been enough for anyone...

Well, if you are doubling the space, you could take this opportunity to put lvm on the new disks, move all the data, then put in the old disks as a pv, extending the lvm space.

I really wouldn't recommend having a 30-disk raid6, imagine the rebuild time after a failed disk..

/Mattias Wadenstein