Hello Neil ,

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, Neil Brown wrote:
On Tuesday October 9, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Problems at step 4.: 'man mdadm' doesn't tell if it's possible to
grow an array to a degraded array (non existant disc). Is it possible?

Why not experiment with loop devices on files and find out?

But yes:  you can grow to a degraded array providing you specify a
--backup-file.
        Is there an estimate of how large this file can get ?
        It's probably a calculation based on disk & array parameters .
        But I was unable to find a reference on it from the manpage .

                Tia ,  JimL

However I don't recommend it.  I would never recommend having a
degraded array by design.  It should only ever happen due to a
failure, and should last only until you can get a replacement
rebuilt.

Remember that a degraded raid5 has a greater risk of data loss than a
single drive.

PS: the fact, that degraded array will be unsafe for the data is an
intented motivating factor for buying next drive ;)

:-)

NeilBrown