Alberto Alonso wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 18:12 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Depending on the hardware you can still access a different disk while
another one is reseting. But since there is no timeout in md it won't
try to use any other disk while one is stuck.

That is exactly what I miss.

MfG
        Goswin
-

That is exactly what I've been talking about. Can md implement
timeouts and not just leave it to the drivers?

I can't believe it but last night another array hit the dust when
1 of the 12 drives went bad. This year is just a nightmare for
me. It brought all the network down until I was able to mark it
failed and reboot to remove it from the array.

I'm not sure what kind of drives and drivers you use, but I certainly have drives go bad and they get marked as failed. Both on old PATA drives and newer SATA. All the SCSI I currently use is on IBM hardware RAID (ServeRAID), so I can only assume that failure would be noted.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc