Neil Brown wrote:
I've recently become aware that we really need FAILFAST - possibly for
all IO from RAID1/5.  Modern drives don't need any retry at the OS
level - if the retry in the firmware cannot get the data, nothing will.

Thanks.  I agree that we do need something along these lines.  It
might be a while before I can give the patch the brainspace it
deserves as I am travelling this fortnight.

NeilBrown

Neil,

Was anything ever done with this idea? I can throw my hat into the this-is-a-big-problem ring. I oftentimes have a RAID1 disk fail on a heavy-I/O system and the system basically needs to be power-cycled if it is to come back up within the hour (any OS access to that RAID will hang).

Any word would be appreciated.

Philip