I'm about to reorganize our raid array, and I\m thinking of building a
big root filesystem containing essentially the usual root stuff plus
/usr. The idea is to minimize the number of partitions to avoid seek
on the disks.

It's often said that the root filesystem should be as small as
possible to make it less susceptible to errors. I know that with good
modern scsi disks there's not much danger in having a big filesystem.

What I'd like to know is about fsck. Will a big filesystem be more
prone to fsck troubles if the machine stops uncleanly? This seems
likely, but I'm interested in those files that are not often written
to, only read, like in the traditional root arrangement.

My hope is that the files that have already been synched are not
vulnerable to fsck inconsistencies, only those that haven't been
updated before the crash. Is this right?