On Oct 25,  8:33pm, Kenneth Cornetet wrote:
} Subject: RE: DPT Linux RAID.

> Carefull on this! There are two EATA drivers. It's been several months since
> I was trying this driver, but I believe the correct one is simply called
> EATA. The ones *not* to use are called eata_dma and eata_pio. I got this bit
> of info from the authors of the drivers themselves. If I recall correctly,
> the author of the eata_dma had move all of his development to freebsd and
> was not currently working on the linux version.
>
> Also, I definately recall that the "bad" driver would not even boot in a
> multiprocessor system.
>
> Again, I think the one to use is EATA or EATA/DMA and the one not to use was
> eata_dma, but I may have these backwards.

The following is the .config option that needs to be set for reliable
operation with the DPT cards:

        CONFIG_SCSI_EATA=y

We have not found the driver configured with the following define to be stable:

        CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA

The instability is especially profound in an SMP environment.  Under
any kind of load there will be crashes and hangs.

We have a fair amount of experience with DTP-3334UW cards in IMAP
based messaging servers.  We had a lot of problems until we discovered
the difference between the two drivers.

With the proper driver the DPT cards have been as reliable as a
bowling ball.  Not very fast but extremely tough and reliable.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Kenneth Cornetet

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein           Enjellic Systems Development - Specializing
4206 N. 19th Ave.            in information infra-structure solutions.
Fargo, ND  58102             WWW: http://www.enjellic.com
Phone: 701-281-1686          EMAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Meeting:
        An assembly of people coming together to decide what person or
department not represented in the room must solve a problem."
                                -- Unknown