I just read that message from James Manning on some performance tuning, and
it made me think about this.  On some of our RAID controllers, they collect
statistics for the RAID volumes.  The one that I'm thinking of collects
things like this, except that I've trimmed some of the irrelevant
information.

        Reads   Writes
1   KB     26537  190557
2   KB     16084   56161
4   KB    118645  756926
8   KB     61132  110969
16  KB     75669   34512
32  KB    132924    4567
64  KB    324735   10850
128 KB         0       0
256 KB         0       0
512 KB         0       0
1   MB+        0       0
Total     755726 1164542

The statistics report a few other things, but from looking at numbers like
these, I could grab them into a spreadsheet program like Gnumeric,
manipulate them a bit, and figure out what the "optimal" sizes for things on
my RAID array are.
Is there any chance of keeping track of these with software RAID?  Somewhere
like /proc/mdinfo/ or even another mdSTUFF file in or, or possibly just
tacked onto the end of the mdstat that's there already.  Now, I can see
somebody asking about performance considerations here, but it's storing a
tiny amount of data, just the number of reads and writes for each size block
of data.  Does this sound like something that would be useful?  Can I pay
somebody to write it?  :-)  Thanks,
        Grego