Assuming sequential reads, you should be able to get this from good drives.

> What controllers/drives should I be looking at?

I'm not familiar with current top-end drives, but you should be looking for
at least 4MB of cache on the drives.  I think the best drives that you'll
find will be able to deliver 20MB/sec without trouble, possibly a bit more.
I seem to remember somebody on this liking Adaptec cards, but nobody on the
SPARC lists will touch the things.  I might look at a Tekram, or a Symbios
based card, I've heard good things about them, and they're used on some of
the bigger machines that I've worked with.  Later,
        Grego