On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Seth Vidal wrote:

> Hi,
>  We've been using the sw raid 5 support in linux for about 2-3 months now.
> We've had good luck with it.
>
> Until this week.
>
> In this one week we've lost two drives on a 3 drive array. Completely
> eliminating the array. We have good backups, made everynight, so the data
> is safe. The problem is this: What could have caused these dual drive
> failures?
>
> One went out on saturday the next on the following friday. Complete death.
>
> One drive won't detect anywhere anymore and its been RMA'd the other
> detects and I'm currently mke2fs -c on the drive.

Hey Seth,

Sorry to hear about your drive failures. To me, this is something that
most people ignore about RAID5: Lose more than one drive and everything is
toast. Good reason to have a drive setup as a hot spare, not to mention an
extra drive laying on the shelf. And hold your breathe while the array is
rebuilding.

Bill Carlson
Systems Programmer    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics        |