Hi!

On 07-Aug-00 Tomasz Gralewski wrote:
> I need help.
> I use on the corporate machine linux kernel of 2.2.16 version.

> The problem is:
> This version of kernel does not support CONFIG_AUTODETECT_RAID.
> I'd like to start the root filesystem from /dev/md0 but the kernel tell
> me durring a boot time, that it can not to mount
> root filesystem /dev/md0.

You seem to have the stock 2.2.16 kernel without the newer raid-pathes.
You can find a 2.2.16 path at:
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/

apply that to your kernel source (add --dry-run to test if the patch will
succeed before actually changing your kernel source).

> Is there different method to setup mirroring under 2.2.16 kernel.
> Maybe the patches, lilo configuration, initrd would help.

> Is that proble is solved?

In my kernel-configuration is an option for autodetect and booting from
raid. There is also a Raid-Howto which describes how to realize a raid1 at
for booting from.

I don't boot from it, but by raid is detected and started at boottime right
after the scsi-device scan and partition check.

I hope this helps,

K.-H.