[Marc Haber]
> I am trying to build a RAID 1 with two disks on a new system. Linux is
> Debian potato, kernel 2.2.16 patched with raid-2.2.16-A0, raidtools
> built from raidtools-dangerous-0.90.20000116.tar.gz.

So far so good.

> |   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> |/dev/hda7            38      2501  19792048+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
>
> |   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> |/dev/hdb7            38      2501  19792048+  fd  Linux raid autodetect

Looks fine

> |haber@gwen[7/58]:~$ cat /etc/raidtab
> |raiddev /dev/md0
> |        raid-level      1
> |        nr-raid-disks   2
> |        nr-spare-disks  0
> |        chunk-size      4
> |        persistent-superblock 1
> |        device          /dev/hda7
> |        raid-disk       0
> |        device          /dev/hdb7
> |        raid-disk       1

Also good.

> However, when I finally try to build the RAID, this is what happens:
> |haber@gwen[8/59]:~$ sudo mkraid /dev/md0
> |handling MD device /dev/md0
> |analyzing super-block
> |/dev/hda7: device too small (0kB)
> |mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues.
> |haber@gwen[9/60]:~$ cat /proc/mdstat
> |Personalities :
> |read_ahead not set
> |unused devices: <none>
> |haber@gwen[10/61]:~$
>
> Nothing is written to syslog.

Being a non-primary partition shouldn't be a problem (there was the
autodetection issue iirc, but that shouldn't matter here)

The only time I've been device too small was when I was accessing
a device that didn't have a proper /dev entry.  the fdisk -l probably
only needed /dev/hda to be valid, but for the mkraid to succeed
/dev/hda7 will need to be valid (3,7).  Not likely, but that's the
only time I saw it.
--
James Manning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4

PGP signature