On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 16:13:25 -0800
Ira Weiny <wei...@llnl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:01:32 -0500
> Hal Rosenstock <hal.rosenst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Ira Weiny <wei...@llnl.gov> wrote:

> [snip]

> > > There is a bit of a speed up (~0.5 to 1.0 sec).  But my main reason to
> > > want to
> > > go to 4 is that if there are issues on the fabric, unresponsive nodes
> > > etc.; 4
> > > will give us better parallelism to get around these issues.  I have not
> > > had
> > > the chance to test this condition with the new algorithm but the original
> > > ibnetdiscover would slow way down when there are nodes which have
> > > unresponsive
> > > SMA's.  If there are only 2 outstanding this will not give us much speed
> > > up.
> > > This was the main motivation I had for improving the library in this way.

Ok, I found a fabric with just 2 nodes which were unresponsive...  A quick
test shows...

Original ibnetdiscover:

18:12:29 > time ./ibnetdiscover > foo
ibwarn: [26993] mad_rpc: _do_madrpc failed; dport (DR path slid 0; dlid 0;
0,1,24,11,9)
src/ibnetdisc.c:457; Query remote node (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,24,11,9)
failed, skipping port
ibwarn: [26993] mad_rpc: _do_madrpc failed; dport (DR path slid 0; dlid 0;
0,1,24,24,18,7,6)
src/ibnetdisc.c:457; Query remote node (DR path slid 0; dlid 0;
0,1,24,24,18,7,6) failed, skipping port

real    0m9.073s
user    0m0.137s
sys     0m0.172s

18:12:43 > time ./ibnetdiscover > foo
ibwarn: [31111] mad_rpc: _do_madrpc failed; dport (DR path slid 0; dlid 0;
0,1,24,11,9)
src/ibnetdisc.c:457; Query remote node (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,24,11,9)
failed, skipping port
ibwarn: [31111] mad_rpc: _do_madrpc failed; dport (DR path slid 0; dlid 0;
0,1,24,24,18,7,6)
src/ibnetdisc.c:457; Query remote node (DR path slid 0; dlid 0;
0,1,24,24,18,7,6) failed, skipping port

real    0m9.103s
user    0m0.046s
sys     0m0.046s

*New* ibnetdiscover with different outstanding SMP's.

18:12:14 > time ./ibnetdiscover -o 2 > foo
src/query_smp.c:185; umad (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,13,11,9 Attr 0x11:0) bad
status 110; Connection timed out
src/query_smp.c:185; umad (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,13,13,7,7,6 Attr 0x11:0)
bad status 110; Connection timed out

real    0m9.746s
user    0m6.559s
sys     0m3.156s

18:13:00 > time ./ibnetdiscover -o 4 > foo
src/query_smp.c:185; umad (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,13,11,9 Attr 0x11:0) bad
status 110; Connection timed out
src/query_smp.c:185; umad (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,13,13,7,7,6 Attr 0x11:0)
bad status 110; Connection timed out

real    0m4.668s
user    0m3.043s
sys     0m1.601s

18:13:10 > time ./ibnetdiscover -o 8 > foo
src/query_smp.c:185; umad (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,13,11,9 Attr 0x11:0) bad
status 110; Connection timed out
src/query_smp.c:185; umad (DR path slid 0; dlid 0; 0,1,13,13,7,7,6 Attr 0x11:0)
bad status 110; Connection timed out

real    0m4.360s
user    0m2.891s
sys     0m1.451s

Note that 2 does not give much speed up, where 4 does.  Obviously this could
have to do with the fact there were 2 nodes which were bad (so if you had
100's of nodes unresponsive a higher value might be worth using) but as a
default compromise I think 4 is good.

Ira