Thank you, Yevgeny.  I've modified my init script accordingly and
restarted opensm.  For anyone else that may find it useful, here is
the "start" portion of my init script:

start () {
    echo -n "Starting opensm: "
    for GUID in `${IBSTAT_BIN} ${IBSTAT_ARG}`
    do
        export OSM_TMP_DIR="/tmp/opensm/${GUID}"
        export OSM_CACHE_DIR="/var/cache/opensm/${GUID}"
        export OSM_LOG_DIR="/var/log/opensm/${GUID}"
        [ -d ${OSM_TMP_DIR} ] || mkdir -p ${OSM_TMP_DIR}
        [ -d ${OSM_CACHE_DIR} ] || mkdir -p ${OSM_CACHE_DIR}
        [ -d ${OSM_LOG_DIR} ] || mkdir ${OSM_LOG_DIR}
        ${OPENSM_BIN} --log_file ${OSM_LOG_DIR}/opensm.log
${OPENSM_ARG} ${GUID} > /dev/null
    done
    if [[ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]]; then
        touch /var/lock/subsys/opensm