On 02/29/2012 09:15 PM, Brian Ginsbach wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 02:47:00PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
>> On 02/29/2012 02:22 PM, Ira Weiny wrote:
>>> Doug,
>>>
>>> First thanks for this.  Some comments below.

>>> I know you are going for ease of use here, which is good, however, I worry
>>> about this file becoming a redefinition of opensm.conf.
>>
>> Hehehe, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about that.  You have
>> looked at opensm.conf in recent times I take it?  Replacing that with
>> command line options in a shell startup script isn't reasonable.
>>
>> However, if you are going to run a redundant fabric setup, then the two
>> things you *know* you will have to set are the guid and subnet_prefix
>> (assuming you want to use openmpi).  If you are going to run
>
> Assuming you are doing this for openmpi.  The subnet_prefix should
> not be needed if the separate subnets are for disjoint networks
> (mpi and storage) or multiple storage networks.

True enough, but that's why I said openmpi.  It is, after all, a primary
IB fabric user.

>> master/slave setup, then the one thing you *know* you will have to set
>> is the priority.  Supporting setting those items in an init script is
>> reasonable.  Beyond that, I would agree, you should just edit the config
>> files.
>>

> Not everything can be done in the config files.  I'm not sure that
> it is a good idea to have every opensm instance using the same
> temporary and cache directories (OSM_TMP_DIR and OSM_CACHE_DIR
> environment variables).  Seems like these fall into the *know* you
> will have to set category.

Unless opensm is smart enough to allow more than one instance to open
the same log file and interleave their log messages successfully.
Temporary files or cache files could do something like use a pid suffix
if need be.  But yes, I see your point.  Opensm has lots of junk it
likes to put on the drive :-/

> You'd also want to make sure that other potentially very useful
> things are configured in the config files (e.g. log_file and
> log_prefix).  Aren't these also things you *know* you will have to
> set.

I would say we are simply getting to the point where we *know* we need
opensm to handle more than one fabric from a single instance ;-)

--
Doug Ledford <dledf...@redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD