On 11/2/2013 12:23 AM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 31/10/2013 5:24, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
+ *         @type3_inc_reftag: T10-DIF type 3 does not state
+ *            about the reference tag, it is the user
+ *            choice to increment it or not.

Can you explain this further ? Does this mean that the HCA can check whether the reference tags are increasing when receiving data for TYPE 3 protection mode ? My understanding of SPC-4 is that the application is free to use the reference tag in any way when using TYPE 3 protection and hence that the HCA must not check whether the reference tag is increasing for TYPE 3 protection. See e.g. sd_dif_type3_get_tag() in drivers/scsi/sd_dif.c.

Bart.

As I understand TYPE 3, the reference tag is free for the application to use - which may choose to inc it each PI or not. This option allows the application to inc ref_tag in type 3. The DIF check is determined via check_mask. As I see it, correct use in case of DIF TYPE 3 is not to validate reference tag i.e. set REF_TAG bits in check_mask to zero.

Sagi.