Hey Tom,

On 11/24/2015 5:59 AM, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
As I see it, if we don't wait for local-invalidate to complete before
unmap and IO completion (and no one does)

For the record, that is false. Windows quite strictly performs these
steps,

I meant Linux ULPs. I'm not very familiar with Windows SMBD.

and deliver millions of real 4K IOPS over SMB Direct.

That's very encouraging! Is this the client side scaling?
From my experience, getting a storage client/initiator to scale
up to 1.5-3 MIOPs over a single HCA with limited number of cores
is really a struggle for each interrupt and cacheline.

Still the latency of each IO will see a noticable increase.

Waiting for local invalidate to complete would be a really big
sacrifice for our storage ULPs.

Not waiting would also be a sacrifice, by compromising data integrity.
It's a tough tradeoff, but if you choose to go that way it will be
critical to be honest about the consequences to the data.

That's true. I assume that the best compromise would be remote
invalidation but some standards needs enhancements and it doesn't solve
the multi-rkey transactions.

As storage devices are becoming faster we really should try to do our
best to keep up.