> > I mean that the user needs to investigate why the fabric is not working
> out of box.
>
> My point is that an educated admin should _know_ to configure in these
> cases and that debug is only when things are broken not by default in
> these more complex cases. This means the limitations of the out of box
> approach needs to be explained in the docs.

When IP addresses are used, the corresponding pkey is used.  The issue this
patch is addressing is the mapping of 'hostnames' to pkeys, as show in this
ibacm_addr.cfg example:

#Name      device port pkey
cst-lin0   mlx4_0 1    default
cst-lin0-1 mlx4_0 1    default
cst-lin0-2 mlx4_0 2    default

Currently, 'default' is hard-coded to a pkey of 0xffff.  The intent is to
define a better default value.  Kaike has suggested this be the new default:

1. Find the first non-management full-member pkey;
2. If it fails, find pkey 0xffff;
3. If pkey 0xffff is not available, use the first pkey.

Is there better alternative for what default should be?  Jason was suggesting
use pkey[0], which seems less robust in theory, but is simple and may cover the
vast majority of real use cases.

The fewer cases where manual configuration is necessary, the fewer emails I
receive, and the better off I am.  :)

- Sean