On 12/18/2015 09:59 AM, Or Gerlitz wrote:
OK, Doug, this is my suggestion for the dev attr cleanup -- it
has the advantages of leaving the attrs on a well defined location,
a field in the IB device, the ability to  get that through smaller
patches, avoid touching any of the HW drivers, etc.

Hello Or,

This version of the dev attr cleanup patches (just like the previous version) makes kernel code access the attrs member of struct ib_device while user space code keeps calling the query_device function. If there would be a bug in one of the query_device implementations, e.g. that the correct data is only returned some time after device initialization has finished, then user space code will see other attribute values than kernel code. I think we should avoid such subtle and hard to debug behavior. Hence my proposal to modify ib_uverbs_ex_query_device() such that it fetches attribute information from the ib_device structure instead of by calling query_device().

Bart.