Hi Wolfram,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:09 AM, Wolfram Sang <w...@the-dreams.de> wrote:
>> Hence I think it should be handled in the driver.
>
> I knew it ;)
>
> If we change the MSTP driver, we should do it in a generic way. MSTP
> clocks which should/should not change the parent's clock rate can be
> anywhere. My best bet so far would be encoding this in DT, because all
> the heuristics I could think of seem too fragile to me. That's because I
> assume in a clock tree, anything is possible.

Whether we want a clock to influence its parent is policy, not hardware
description. So IMHO it doesn't belong in DT.

> Changing DTs having MSTP clocks is quite intrusive, though...

Indeed (regardless of the above).

IMHO it's more worthwhile to convert r8a7740 to use the CPG/MSSR driver.
There it can be handled easily by adding a flag to the mssr_mod_clk structure.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- ge...@linux-m68k.org