Hi Geert-san,

> From: Geert Uytterhoeven, Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:58 PM
>
> Hi Shimoda-san,
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:38 AM Yoshihiro Shimoda
> <yoshihiro.shimoda...@renesas.com> wrote:
> > > From: Wolfram Sang <w...@the-dreams.de>, Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2018
> > > 12:05 PM

> > The hardware team said:
> >  - In CPG point of view:
> >    - such polling doesn't need (because the reset pulse is generated
> > correctly).
> >    - About the interval after deassert the reset, this is depend on each
> > hardware module.
> >      (In other words, if each hardware module has a special handling about
> > after the deassert interval,
> >       we should follow the special handling.)
> >  - The I2C controller needs an interval of reading SRCR at least (this is a
> > special handling).
> >
> > So, I think adding this code is not good fit in CPG point of view.

> > As hardware team said, the check (that means procedure C) is not needed.

> > > Any news about this topic?
> > >
> > > And how to upstream all this? My I2C patch is clearly a bugfix, but the
> > > necessary CPG update technically isn't? Not sure about this one...
> >
> > I think we have to add reset_control_status() calling into the i2c-rcar.c
> > to follow procedure B.
> > But, Geert-san, what do you think?
>
> Calling reset_control_status() from i2c-rcar is fine for me.

Thank you for your comment!

> Note that reset controller support is optional, so we want to add
>
>         select RESET_CONTROLLER if ARCH_RENESAS && ARM64
>
> to the I2C_RCAR section drivers/i2c/busses/Kconfig. Else reset will fail
> silently.

Thanks for this information. It's helpful to me because I'll add reset
controller support on renesas_usbhs driver later.

> This hardware bug is restricted to R-Car Gen3?

Yes, this is hardware "behaviour" on R-Car Gen3 :)
And older SoCs' I2C doesn't support DMA transfer.

> If it applies to R-Car Gen2, too, the "&& ARM64" has to be dropped.
> If it applies to R-Car Gen1, too, we have to write an R-Car Gen1 reset
> controller driver (R-Car Gen1 uses the legacy CPG and MSTP clock drivers,
> and cannot be migrated to the CPG/MSSR driver, as its MSTP and RESET
> functionalities are in separate modules).

So, they are not needed, I think.

Best regards,
Yoshihiro Shimoda