Hi Dirk,

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 1:13 PM Dirk Behme <dirk.be...@de.bosch.com> wrote:
> On 29.03.2019 10:46, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> >> * Testing the patch [5]
> >>
> >> - int shift = min(-8, max(7, deviation / 2));
> >> + int shift = clamp(deviation / 2, -8, 7);
> >>
> >> does *not* fix our issue. Or in other words: Testing was *not* successful.
> >
> > I'm sorry to hear that.
> >
> >> * However, from review point of view we think that it fixes a serious
> >> bug. So maybe it should be applied, anyhow?
> >
> > Yes, submitted.
> >
> >> * Using strace we managed to get some more information about the usage
> >> of the serial port [6]. With this, we are talking about 57600 and not
> >> 115200
> >>
> >> * Switching to dev_info() [7] as requested above we get
> >>
> >> [    0.553256] e6560000.serial: ttySC3 at MMIO 0xe6560000 (irq = 41,
> >> base_baud = 0) is a hscif
> >> [  161.418527] sh-sci e6560000.serial: BRG: 9600+0 bps using DL 1462 SR 19
> >> [  161.418543] sh-sci e6560000.serial: Using clk s3d1 for 9600+0 bps
> >> [  161.418813] sh-sci e6560000.serial: BRG: 57600-5 bps using DL 463 SR 10
> >> [  161.418824] sh-sci e6560000.serial: Using clk s3d1 for 57600-5 bps

> Do you have any idea what might be the difference between reverting
> "serial: sh-sci: Support for HSCIF RX sampling point adjustment" (works)
> and not reverting that (doesn't work for us), then?

Before that commit, the RX sampling point was not shifted.
After that commit, it was incorrectly shifted by -8[*].
With my fix, it is shifted by 7[*], to compensate for a clock rate that
is slightly off.

[*] In units of cycles of the sampling clock, which runs at SR * 57595 =
    575950 Hz.

However, doing the above calculation shows that's something wrong with
the formula used by the driver: with SR = 10, the default sampling point
at the center is at SR / 2 = 5, so the shift must be within [-4, +4], which
is exceeded by using a  value of 7.

    deviation = min_err * srr * last_stop / 2 / baud;

With:

    min_err = -5
    srr = 9
    last_stop = 19
    baud = 57600

Note that srr and baud are unsigned.  Hence the multiplication and
divisions are done in unsigned arithmetic, and we get deviation = 37282
instead of 0. Oops...

Fixed by:

-                       int deviation = min_err * srr * last_stop / 2 / baud;
+                       int deviation = (int)(min_err * srr * last_stop) / 2 /
+                                       (int)baud;

Before I sent a patch: Uli, shouldn't the formula use "(srr + 1)"
instead of "srr", as the actual sampling rate factor is one more than
the value programmed in HSSRR.SRCYC?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--